Sunday 14 December 2014

Boring Week Progress: Part 2

Yet another week where not much has happened. As usual progress is still being made with a minimum of 1 section on The Pyromancer either written or edited per day (the sections vary quite a bit in size). It's a few hundred words give or take. Other than that I've been working on a group assignment as well as writing a covering letter and doing a solo assignment so my time has been pretty used up.

Even so I've made a bit of time to start learning songs on piano again so hopefully my skills should improve for once instead of just going kinda rusty. The song/s in question are the lyrical songs from the game Transistor: The Spine, In Circles, We All Become, Signals & Paper Boats. All the sheet music can be found here, for free. If you have any interest in the game and can play a piano, guitar or sing you really should learn these. You might think I'd recommend Transistor this week because of my interest in it but I kinda want to save that for a time when I'm actually playing it again. I could write pages on why that game is not only one of my favourite games but a genuinely fantastic game.



Instead I recommend you check out another game if you haven't already. Fallout: New Vegas, and to a lesser extent the other Fallout games. Do you like the 50's rpg's and a post apocalyptic setting filled with romans? FALLOUT NEW VEGAS HAS ALL OF THESE THINGS, and more to boot. It's hard to put into words what I personally like about this game. I love the way that you gain a reputation for yourself within the different communities of the Mojave. A reputation that reflects back at you, the player, in what you can and can't do safely. Where you can go and who you can talk to can be defined by your past decisions which make playing the game for the third time (what I'm doing right now) a really interesting experience. I'm still making new feeling characters who have their own goals and factions they support/hate.

Another thing I love is the combat. The range of weapon types you've got access to and the volume of weapons within those types is phenomenal. In reality the combat isn't too fancy. Enemies have limbs you can cripple but most of my fights involve just spraying ammo everywhere or sniping (in my case at least, a melee character would make a crap sniper, no?) In general I find the combat appealing when I view it as being way better balanced than Skyrim was on higher difficulties, where enemies are too strong unless you specifically max out a skill for dealing with them. In Fallout: New Vegas I found that changing my tactic was often as effective as leveling up in 90% of circumstances unlike in Skyrim where nearly all tactics involve getting too close to the thing you are fighting. I find even the melee combat in Fallout more rewarding than Skyrim although I can't really explain why. One of the reasons this game really stuck out for me though is because I got the collectors edition. This game being, to date, the only game I have a collectors edition for. I have my brother to thank for that. Anyway here is the ultimate edition trailer because I don't know what else to put here.



Maybe I'll mention Fallout: New Vegas again at somepoint but I feel like I've already rambled too much, so for now I'll say farewell and get back to work.

-Beau

twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment