Sunday 12 April 2015

Why Portal & Half-Life 2 are still worth your time

Another week has passed and the Easter holidays are over. I'm going to be getting busy with uni work again so this'll probably be the kinda progress I'm going to be making at best. Either way I don't have much else to say about Revolver this week so I'll leave talking about it for future posts.

05/04/2015:
-Created a spirit enemy (AGAIN) that can follow the player through walls.
-The spirit enemy can now be hurt by any placed flare using the power of circle_collision! Two important things need to be done soon: The players flash-light needs to somehow be able to hurt the spirits & the flare needs to burn out (instance_destroy()) after a period of time. This period could be altered by a trait as could the flares radius (global variable for the radius could affect both the flares radius and the spirits collision).

06/04/2015:
-Changed the variables for the flares radius and spirits damage range to a global so it can be affected by a trait.

07/04/2015:
-Sprits now deal a small amount of damage to the player both in the form of health and movement speed. This has a minimal cap to prevent game breaking but can still be very detrimental.

08/04/2015:
-Using a fake flashlight (copy of the light sprite used for the actual light) set to an alpha (opacity) of 1 and setting it to the samish location as the actual light I've made an effective collision for the players flashlight and the spirit enemy. For balance reasons the range of damage is actually a little shorter than the flashlights length but, if it is a problem, I'll fix that later. Just copy over sLight and re-make it. Next job turret enemy.
-Created a basic turret base sprite. Create the turret tomorrow.

09/04/2015:
-Did some turret stuff. (FORGOT TO WRITE IN AND NOW I'VE FORGOTTEN) From looking back it seems like it was a basic attempt at the AI.

10/04/2015:
-Vastly improved the turrets look. It looks like a god damn turret now rather than a gross looking blob.
-Started work on its aiming capabilities. It can aim at the player if they are within range and there is nothing blocking its view. I need to find a way to differentiate its aiming so it can aim at either the player or the zombie enemy and shoot whoever is closest.
-Discovered a bug where the xp always carries over 10 no matter what.
-Can't get the turret to shoot at the zombies even though both they and the player share the same parent class, will attempt to fix tomorrow.

11/04/2015:
-Turret now works pretty well. Next thing to do is limit its ammo, allow no exp for a turret kill, allow it to harm the player and balance it.
-All works now. Next step Goliath enemy.


I was kinda bored yesterday so I decided to play the first Portal again. All of it. I kinda forgot how interesting and fun that game was. The puzzles are rewarding to work out and flinging yourself around with the power of SCIENCE is incredibly enjoyable. The game has a great atmosphere too. While playing it I remembered the first time I beat the game and how rewarding it felt (hearing Still Alive for the first time was really awesome) and playing the game I remembered how scary I found the game the first time. It's funny really because the game is not really like a traditional horror, there are no obvious monsters with more claws and eyes that it should have, but the whole being a lab rat constantly guided by an omnipotent AI that you can hear going haywire while mocking you is incredibly unnerving. I also think this game would be really good for someone who hasn't played many or any first person games. It's cheap these days, has a great story & the whole game is based around teaching the player which is great for new players. Although it was just a short romp back into the world of Aperture Science it was one that I thoroughly enjoyed and I'm definitely going to play the second now.

Speaking of Valve I've also recently finished Half-Life 2 again using the Half-Life 2 update that was recently released. Damn is that still a damn fine game. Yeah the graphics are not great by todays standards (although the update helps that) but, like Portal the atmosphere for each area is brilliant. Ravenholm didn't scare me this time round but the whole area felt like I was walking through the aftermath of a horror movie apocalypse. To be fair, the whole game has that kinda setting but this area is still creepy as all hell. Oh and the combat, while feeling a bit dated due to its lack of iron sights and a few other features is so well designed (along with the levels of course) that running and gunning is still really fun to this day. It's funny actually, I've never really believed this to be the be all and end all of FPS games like some people think but honestly I can't name an FPS I like more. I don't know if that is a good thing though. It came out in 2004 I think and there isn't a game since then I feel that has surpassed the overall quality of HL2. Certain aspects; yeah of course. There are FPS's with better graphics or combat but none that have the complete package of story, combat, design, direction and atmosphere. I think that's what has made it the powerhouse it has been. It's such a fantastic all around game, all its parts work so well together that we have this wonderful whole, that to this day at least, stands the test of time and continues to be the wonderful game it is.

-Beau

twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment