Sunday 28 December 2014

Future Plans or What I Learnt From This Year

As time inevitably flows on we find ourselves on the precipice of a new year. Honestly I'm equal parts terrified and excited for the coming year though. Placements, another semester of uni and another years worth of procrastinating on pet projects. Good stuff and good times to be had I'm sure.

Re-building the website for uni has been really fun, even if half the stuff I'm trying to add doesn't work and if it does I have no clue how it does. Just another day in that regard really. Still I'm learning new stuff and enjoying the process so there is that. I've finally finished Act 1 of the Pyromancer which means I'm about a 1/3 of the way through the actual writing of this damn story. Biggest positive of this is that I now have a good example of a weakness when it comes to job interviews. Seems I'm overly optimistic of personal deadlines. I really was hoping of having it done by the end of the year but I guess that isn't happening now. Unfortunately I was hoping to start the new year working with Unity and I still might, but I'm definitely going to get this story finished. I think it's too good to just throw away even if it is going to take a little more work. As for my Unity game I have a good idea for what to make so planning shouldn't take long for that, and I'll keep you updated when I start with it.

Writing and recording is music is something I've wanted to do for a while now and with the gift of a microphone I got from my brother I may be making a start on that to at some point this year. I already do a bit of composing but nothing overly fancy, mostly just little piano pieces. Actually recording some stuff will be nice.

Do you like a game where you care about the characters you are interacting with? What about one with an interesting story and enjoyable squad based mechanics? Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut is definitely worth looking at. This game has been a real favourite of mine for a while now for many different reasons. Lets start with the characters. Everyone you meet seems to have something interesting to say. Some comment on the world you're in. Everyone adds to the world in a real organic way and I love it. I would like to give examples but specifics might take away something so I'll pass on that for now and talk about the world itself. For those that don't know Shadowrun is set in a future after an event known as the Awakening. This event turned many into Meta-humans gave a load of folk magic powers and pretty much screwed up a lot of things. The lore is huge so again little details from me just think Tolkienesque races with magic and robot organs/arms/legs/everything. A seriously badass setting populated by badassess.

Mechanically the game is good, nothing super awesome although variety is the spice this game sprinkles on everything. Want to be a spell slinging mage giving the hurt to everyone around you? You can. Like buffs, debuffs summoning things? Shamans have got that covered. Want to be a cyborg who mows down crowds with smgs and grenades? OF COURSE YOU DO AND YOU CAN. Drones at your command, hacking into corporations so many variations and choices in how you fight. Many of your choices effect how the story goes as well. What you can discover and whether you can avoid dangerous fight or not can and are affected by who you are. The game itself plays pretty simply. Move behind cover throw attacks back and forth heal up repeat. Simple but effective. Different skills work better in different situations but you quickly get used to what to do when and what risks pay off better than others.

The story though. Mmmmm it's good. Simply put you stumble into a conspiracy and have to find a way to stop it before the big bad stops you. Nothing super fancy, although the setting and writing add a hell of a lot to the concept. The stakes keep getting raised as you discover more and more what the big bad is up to. Neat twists pop up often too which I like. I can't do the story justice here, just know that it is good at keeping you on your toes and if you like mystery and suspense you'll like this.

All in all I love this game and recommend it to anyone that likes a strategy game that is well made, balanced and has a lot of choice offered to you, the player. Here is a little trailer. Doesn't show much but shows you what the game looks like. (Damn nice is what it looks like.)


Quick point to make. This was originally a DLC for the game Shadowrun Returns. Get this. The base game of Shadowrun Returns (Dead Mans Switch) is not as good as this and the DLC of Dragonfall is not as good as this version (Directors Cut). Just get the Directors Cut version and you'll be fine & dandy.

That's all for this week folks so if I don't see you in person have a Happy New Year.

-Beau

No comments:

Post a Comment