Sunday 1 February 2015

Revolvers, A Bio & Sanctum 2

I started work on another game this week entitled Revolver. It's nothing fancy but so far it's been a lot of fun and I'm already learning some cool new things like path-finding AI and lighting in Game Maker. As much as I want to now I'm going to do a full post about this soon (next week?) so I can go more in depth.

Using people as a base for characters is something else I've been working on. Here is the first bio I made, based off of a friend of mine:

"An expert blacksmith with a family tie to one of the most well-known old tribes. He spent his youth training as an apprentice blacksmith and getting himself into sticky situations in one of many adventures. In his later years he would become the heart of any community he was part of; always the one starting a song (and a rowdy one at that), or telling an epic fable, ___ was loved by all that had the honour to meet him. At the old age of 48 he is thrust into adventure one last time when a mysterious man asks about repairing an unusual sword. From here he and the mysterious man get into an adventure that helps shape the future of The United Bastion of Artefacts."

That's his bio as it currently stands and I figured I'd leave the name blank as I haven't yet decided, or technically got permission, to use real names.

If you like tower defences and first person shooters I couldn't recommend Sanctum 2 to you enough. With fun characters, difficult but not unfair game-play, a surprisingly cool story and a fantastic soundtrack to boot this is easily one of my favourite games. Sanctum 2 pits you as one of 4 core guardians (kinda 5 if you have DLC) who's job it is to protect the oxygen & energy giving cores that allow humans to inhabit the planet the game takes place in. Problem is some sort of sentient-ish fungi creatures aren't happy with the oxygen rich atmosphere and are trying to destroy all of these cores. You play level by level picking your character, 4 of several towers and 3 of many, many perks to customize your character just the way you want to. As good as this game is I must say I think the difficulty is a bit all over the place so don't worry if you get stuck on a particular level. Trying a different tactic worked well for me.

I think what I like about this game is the overall style and feel of everything. Your enemies explode, the players characters cheer and make some great comments and all of the weapons and towers are really fun to play with. The game looks great too. The graphics aren't the best ever but the clean, sleek look of the players defences against the raw natural backdrop of the world is stunning, and some of the levels/views look downright picturesque. Especially the later levels and DLC levels. I can't sing the praises of this game enough so I'll add this kick ass trailer and bid you all adieu. I'm off for some hot chocolate and to play some Sanctum 2. (I am so sorry. I couldn't help but rhyme. Something something something crime?)


-Beau


No comments:

Post a Comment