Sunday 15 February 2015

Build One World, Conquer Another

This week I've mostly been working on creating a coherent timeline for my world and tweaking what I've got with Revolver. On the Revolver front I've got a few new features like improved spawning and a working XP/Perk system; kill enough enemies and you can choose from 1 of 3 perks with the XP requirement increasing slightly each time. Eventually it's going to be 1 of 2 out of 6 total and it's going to be random which 2, but little steps for now.

What I'm working on next is what I'm calling a trait system. In between waves of mooks the player will have a break where they can pick from a selection of "traits". These traits will also be randomly generated but unlike the perks, which will only last the length of the wave and offer small buffs to keep the player going, these traits are permanent for the players current playthrough and many have both upsides and downsides. I'm going to make some of them simple but effective buffs and some should hopefully change the way the game is played. It's come a long way from my original idea and while it still has a while to go I'm learning cool new stuff and finding the whole project fun to make, which counts for something I guess.

Other than that I've been continuing on with Tom Francis' tutorials after taking a break from them and good god are those so damn informative. I'm learning so much not only about the Game Maker environment but loads of neat game dev tricks that I can use in so many different games. As stated at the top I've also been working on something I've been putting off for too long.

Making a coherent and above all interesting timeline spanning about 6000 (Earth?) years for multiple races is, for use of a better term, BALLS HARD. OK, so I'm probably over exaggerating but it is at least time consuming and requires a lot of forethought and research. I've got a bookmark folder full of governmental systems, types of religions and all the different varieties of geographic landscapes. I'm certainly learning a lot of stuff about a lot of things and honestly enjoying it, but jeez this is going to take some time. On the up side once I'm done it will be so much easier to use this setting in future projects, which has been the goal all along.

Ever wanted to see what you'd be like as a world leader? Try Civilisation V. This is one of those games that I pick up once every 6 months or so, play a long game, enjoy every minute of it and then forget about. In Civ V you get to pick one of a huge list of historical figures ranging from Gandhi to George Washington and begin building an empire. Unlike many other games a military victory is just one of many achievable and the game really balances the pros and cons to going on a murder spree. Often I find I'll pick a leader aiming for one particular victory type and circumstances change how I actually play the game. One minute I'm expanding my religion and influence and the next I'm gearing up for a war my ally got himself into (fucking Napoleon).

Gameplay is turn based and the game takes place on a hex grid. You start with a warrior unit and a settler and from their your empire rises. Build buildings in your cities to gain resources produce units to conquer your foes or spread religion. Explore far away lands and build alliances, honestly I can't do this game justice because explaining how deep this game goes would take too long. If you like strategies and diplomacy grab Civ V the next time it is on a Steam sale and trust me you'll have a good time.

-Beau

twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment