Saturday 2 January 2016

A New Year!

So as 2015 has come to a close 2016 begins, it's time for me to reflect on the past year and share my plans for the year ahead! Also I ramble far too much...

Being totally honest I feel the last year for me was kind of a mixed bag. I learnt a lot of stuff but I can't shake the feeling I could have had a much easier time of it. Developing Revolver has taught me a load it's true. I've learnt some indispensable lessons from time management & planning to more of the nitty gritty of game dev, but I feel that should I have not terribly inflated the amount of work for Revolver and kept the scope small I maybe in a better position now. If I'm not getting it across clear I want to say I don't regret working on such a huge project, just that I wish I took the advice I'VE SEEN EVERYWHERE to start small. Seriously I can't say it enough, and this is from personal experience, DO NOT start with a big project. It just tires you out, it will probably not turn out any good and you'll just end up feeling bitter about the whole thing. Let's face it. If you want to develop games or already do it's probably because you enjoy it. The second you stop enjoying it is a moment you should take a step back and work out why. That doesn't mean give up of course just take a breather and work out what's up. It's taken me a whole freaking year to get round to doing that and decided on a much better plan of action (which I'm writing about in the next paragraph bear with me), don't do what I did and just frustrate myself working on something not worth it. Again I feel I must reiterate, I'm not saying, "If it gets difficult, give up and do something different." That's stupid, game dev is difficult, hell life is difficult, don't give up. No what I'm saying is, "If you're on your sixth month of a one month project, that working on makes you feel like you're scaling Mt.Everest with broken legs take a step back and work out what you should/want to be doing. Or something."

ANYWAY.

What's in store for this year. Taking into account all I've said and done the plan for this year is a simple one. I'm going to make one game a month for at least the first six months, hopefully more but we'll see how it goes! It really is a simple as that. Each month I will design and develop a new game, from scratch and release at the end of the month. General plan is first week I will work on ideas, design and attempt some prototypes. Second week will consist of building the main systems, functionality and building a majority of the game. The last week will involve major testing and adding additional stuff, think extra powerups, gamemodes and the like. The third week will be a halfway point between the second and last. If I need extra time to finish the main functionality I can or if I've done with that I can move onto the extra features stuff, or take a break. Whatever is best. "And it really is as simple as that." he says, "It'll be totally the easiest shit." he says. Nah joking aside doing many more, smaller projects is a far better for me and it'll make much more interesting reading for you.

That's that really. Forget everything I said last year and come join me on what will be a much more interesting year of game dev and other stuff too.

Also Happy New Year!

-Beau

twitter.com/Bocodillo

No comments:

Post a Comment